Showing posts with label Russia vs NATO. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Russia vs NATO. Show all posts

6/27/2015

NATO Buildup in Poland Portends Catastrophic Consequences – Vice Admiral

Source : http://www.strategic-culture.org

 

Commenting on the continuing buildup of NATO forces on Russia's borders, including a decision to beef up the rapid response force, and the announcement that the US would deploy heavy equipment in six Eastern European states, including Poland, Vice Admiral Marek Toczek told Sputnik that the dangerous escalation could have catastrophic consequences.

"I consider this to be another step in the escalation of tensions in the situation which has developed around [the conflict in] eastern Ukraine, Toczek stated. "I have always considered that such situations must be resolved exclusively via diplomatic talks," he added.

The Polish Navy veteran turned-politician stated that "this conflict cannot be resolved by military means, especially given the scale being considered. Either this is saber rattling, or a harbinger of something that can affect the people of Eastern and Central Europe, and not only them, –a harbinger of extreme catastrophe of a kind humanity has never known. In Poland there are many people –their numbers difficult to estimate in percentage terms, but very likely a majority, who are against these sorts of political decisions."

Toczek noted that Polish officials' enthusiastic approval of the initiatives to station equipment on Polish soil is aimed in part as a pre-election measure ahead of upcoming parliamentary elections this fall. "I do not believe that this is the way to resolve the conflict, and, by and large, I am very concerned that the leadership of my country is resolved to take such steps and such actions," the official noted.

Asked to comment on the contradictions between NATO's recent announcements and Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg's statements earlier this month that Russia does not pose an "immediate threat" to any NATO country and that "our aim is to cooperate" with Moscow, Toczek responded by noting that he is convinced "that we are dealing here with a manifestation of a kind of schizophrenia. Not in relation to the politician who uttered these words –it's difficult to disagree with him. However, pressures from various lobbies, which operate surreptitiously, and which are difficult to identify, result in informational chaos, and this also results in a poor understanding of what is truly going on by a significant portion of society."

Marek Toczek served in the Polish Navy between 1965 and 1996, rising to the rank of Vice Admiral in 1994. In the mid-1990s, he left the navy and became the president of the Polish Front, running for a seat in parliament during the 2001 parliamentary elections on the party list of the Alternative Social Movement. Since then, he has been a vice president of the social democratic Polish Labour Party — August 80.

6/25/2015

NATO to boost special defense forces to 40,000 - Stoltenberg

Source : http://rt.com

 

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has announced that the Spearhead Force deployed in Eastern Europe will be extended to 40,000 troops.

"All together we expect this force to be 40,000 strong,"Stoltenberg said.

The announcement was made in Brussels ahead of a meeting of NATO defense ministers.The current strength of the Spearhead Force is 13,000 troops.Secretary General Stoltenberg said the threefold increase in troops was “substantial.”

"This will enable us to deploy our forces as quickly as we need when crises arise, while maintaining full political control," Stoltenberg said.

NATO member states welcomed the deployment of American military hardware in Europe. Stoltenberg said it doesn’t violate the Alliance’s international obligations. According to the NATO head, the Alliance won’t get into an arms race with Russia, but it has obligations to protect its allies.

NATO aims for a dialogue with Moscow, yet strengthening the Alliance’s defense capabilities doesn’t contradict this goal, said Stoltenberg. He stressed that strong defense is one of the conditions for a dialogue with Russia.

Although military cooperation between the Alliance and Moscow is on hold, political dialogue on various levels is ongoing. Direct communications between the militaries are also active to avoid incorrect interpretations of military activities.

During the media conference on Wednesday, British Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said that Russia and NATO were “saber-rattling” to provoke and intimidate one another, adding that “ it is important also that the alliance ... continues to commit to the collective will to defend all its members.”

On Tuesday, US Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced that Washington plans to station its military hardware, including tanks and armored vehicles, in a number of European countries.

Heavy armaments are going to be deployed to Europe for the purpose of conducting military drills, said Stoltenberg, answering a question about the move being possibly considered a provocation against Russia.

Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, and Romania will be hosting up to 250 vehicles, including Abrams tanks, Bradley armored vehicles and self-propelled howitzers.

NATO is preparing to adopt an assistance package for Moldova to help it modernized its forces, Stoltenberg said.

Stoltenberg said he will meet the Ukrainian defense minister on Thursday to “review the challenges” the country faces. “We will also review the support we are providing for a strong and sovereign Ukraine,”said the NATO chief.

 

6/20/2015

Siege Of Kaliningrad: US To Move Military Equipment Into Lithuania

Source : https://rickrozoff.wordpress.com

VILNIUS: Lithuanian government ratified on Wednesday a bilateral agreement with the United States on its military presence in Lithuanian territory and investments into Lithuanian defense infrastructure.

According to the announcement from Lithuanian Defense Ministry, the agreement between the governments of Lithuania and the U.S. stipulates prepositioning and stationing of the U.S. military equipment, weaponry and vehicles in Lithuania and the U.S. funded development of Lithuanian Army’s infrastructure.

A two year agreement which can be extended is due to come into force as soon as both sides exchange diplomatic notes.

Juozas Olekas, Lithuanian Defense Minister, said the agreement fortifies one of the country’s key security interests to have defense support from the strategic partner in Lithuania.

“Furthermore, U.S. funding will step up the development projects of national training areas aimed at enhancing the conditions for combined training and readiness for defense,” a Defense Ministry statement quoted Olekas as saying.

The funding under the U.S. European Reassurance Initiative will be used to develop Airbase in Siauliai, where allied air forces conduct air policing missions in air space over the three Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The funding will be allocated to develop training areas in Rukla and Pabrade, as well as other military infrastructure objects in Lithuania, said the Ministry.

Under the agreement, roughly 15 million U.S. dollars will be allocated to these projects this year. The European Reassurance Initiative announced by the U.S. President amounts to 1 billion U.S. dollars.

The agreement on closer military cooperation between Lithuanian and the U.S. follows a high profile visit in Lithuania by the General Phillip Breedlove, the Commander U.S. European Command and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, a day before.

Breedlove met with top Lithuanian Defense officials to discuss security issues in the Eastern Europe and assess how defense commitments from NATO allies are being practically implemented in Lithuania. Last year NATO allies agreed to strengthen collective defense, particularly in the Eastern Europe.

Rotating forces of the United States were deployed in Lithuania in spring 2014 and have been attending joint military exercises in the Baltic States since then.